Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tea Addiction

I have a confession. Never in my life have I had a drug or alcohol or any other substance (except maybe chocolate) addiction. But now I find myself craving just one more shot of gunpowder tea sugared to the saturation point and oh, if there's a sprig of mint in there too, then all the better. It's a typical story. Hanging out with a certain crowd (men), sitting around for hours with not a whole lot to do, and eventually you find something to occupy yourselves. Enter the tea. I still don't understand how grown men pouring tea from a little girl sized teapot is considered manly and cool, but it is. I'll happily sit through 3 or 4 hours of chatter for a shot glass sized serving of that foamy sugary drink. And the best part is, sitting around drinking tea is considered work. In between hits I'm talking about projects and sneaking in comments to rock the male/female divide like how James and I share housework and meal preparation (shocking!) or discussing if a man helps his wife get water, bathe the kids, make dinner, wash dishes, etc instead of sitting around drinking tea and chatting with his buddies, then maybe she wouldn't be too tired later to spend time with him.

Yesterday, I became a man. I joined the tea party and learned how to make this frothy delight much to the amusement of the guys. My tea doesn't have quite enough mousse yet because I haven't master the fine art of pouring, but I'll get there. In the meantime, I'll keep challenging gender roles and talking about health, girl's camps, and other project talk while quietly pursuing that next sweet teacup of goodness.

All in a day's work.

Envoyé de mon smartphone BlackBerry ® fourni par Airtel Burkina Faso.

No comments:

Post a Comment